Book Discussion Resources
If you belong to a book discussion group or you would like to start one, and you live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Township, you’re invited to check out our selection of book discussion kit titles provided by the Friends of the Rochester Hills Public Library. Each kit contains multiple copies of a title selected specifically for book discussions by our librarians. Some kits contain a large print copy.
- Book discussion kits may be checked out for eight-week periods to library cardholders who live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Township.
- Persons who live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Township may place holds to reserve book discussion kits.
- No more than two kits at a time may be checked out to an individual.
- Book discussion kits may be renewed once if there are no holds.
- Overdue book discussion kits will be fined $1.00 a day. Kits that are returned incomplete will be fined $1.00 a day once the due date is reached until the missing part is returned.
- Do not put kits in book drop boxes.
- Please check contents of book discussion kits against the content list included in the kit before you return the kit to the library. Replacement cost of an entire kit is $180.00. Replacement cost of individual parts of the kit will depend on the cost of each particular item.
- Please direct any book discussion kit question to an Adult Services Librarian – or call 248-650-7130.
Library Discussion Groups
The library’s two book discussion groups, Between the Lines and Books on Tap, meet regularly to discuss a variety of books. All discussions are led by library staff. Newcomers are always welcome. Sign-up is open to those who live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Township. You may register by going to the online Events Calendar or by calling Adult Services at 248-650-7130. Limited copies of the discussion titles are available prior to the discussion. Registration with an RHPL library card is required.
Between the Lines
A book discussion group that meets September through May, on the third Tuesday of the month from 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. and on the third Thursday of the month from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., either in the library or virtually. Please see the Events Calendar for titles, registration, and other details.
Books on Tap
A book discussion group that meets every other month on the second Monday from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., at Main Street Billiards in downtown Rochester. Please see the Events Calendar for titles, registration, and other details.
Reading Group Guides
Check out these websites for reading group guides:
- BookBrowse reading guides and information and advice for groups.
- Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 discussion questions and author information.
- Reading Group Choices alphabetical list of fiction and non-fiction titles with discussion guides.
- Reading Group Guides over 3,750 discussion guides as well as advice, ideas, and a monthly newsletter.
- LitLovers find books, reviews, discussion guides, or take a literature course.
Internet Resources for Book Discussions
Check out these websites for further online resources: