RHPL Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Beginning Feb. 1, 2021, RHPL will be in Phase Three of Its Reopening Plan
Rochester Hills Public Library is pleased to announce its return to Phase Three: Grab & Go Service on Monday, Feb. 1. A COVID-19 safety plan has been in place at the library since March 2020. The plan allows the library to move through reopening phases depending on local virus cases and statistics.
The last time the library was in Phase Three: Grab & Go Service was in July 2020. The library reopened then with limitations after being closed for several weeks per orders issued by the State of Michigan. Those same limitations are in place beginning Feb. 1. Additionally:
- Library hours remain the same.
- Patrons experiencing any COVID-19 related symptoms may not enter the library.
- Occupancy is limited and patrons are encouraged to keep visits to the library to under 30 minutes.
- All patrons five years old and older must wear a face mask covering the nose and mouth. Disposable face masks, donated by the Ford Motor Company Fund, will be available at the library entrance for those who do not have one. Visitors who cannot wear a face mask for medical reasons are encouraged to use the library’s drive-thru services.
- Library items returned through our lobby dropbox and automated return will be set aside for up to 72 hours before recirculating to the public.
- Access to computers will be available for limited times.
- All study and meeting rooms are closed.
- The computer lab and the Makerspace rooms are closed.
- Toys, puzzles, water fountains, vending machines, and other frequently touched items are closed or not available.
- High-touch surfaces will be routinely cleaned and disinfected throughout the day.
Recently, the library installed touchless faucets in all public restrooms and hand sanitizer stations are available throughout the library. Patrons are encouraged to use the self-serve checkout stations and to continue using the library’s many online resources, as well as its drive-thru window and automated return box.
Until February 1:
RHPL remains in Phase Four; Access to the library is limited to drive-thru services and holds pick ups in the lobby.
Placing a hold:
- Request materials ahead of time online or by phone.
- Use your library card to log into your account and place holds on books, dvds, and other items.
- To place holds over the phone, call (248) 656-2900.
Wait for an email or text notifying you that your holds are ready:
- Please wait for the email or text notification before you visit the library to pick up your held items. They may not be available if you visit before you receive the notification.
- It can take several days for held items to be available and ready for pick up.
- Holds will either be available at the drive-thru window or will be shelved in the lobby of the library. You may enter through the south or west entrances of the library to access the lobby. A self-checkout station will be available in the lobby.
- Visit your online account at rhpl.org to check your holds status and pick up location.
To ensure proper distancing between staff and patrons in the lobby, we must lock the entrance doors for 15-25 minutes while our Circulation team puts items on the shelves Mondays through Saturdays at 2:30 p.m. and on Sundays at 4 p.m. There are signs on the door alerting patrons when the entrances have been temporarily closed.
Pick up your held items:
- Remember to wear a face mask covering the nose and mouth when entering the library lobby.
- Find your materials. They will be organized by your last name on the shelves in the libray lobby or at the drive-thru window.
- Unclaimed items will be removed from the shelves. You will not be held responsible for them at any point.
- Use the self-checkout station if picking up holds in the library lobby.
Returning library materials:
- You can return RHPL items at the drive-thru window, at our automated return (24/7) next to the drive-thru window, or by using the return slots located in the lobby.
- Returned items will be placed in quarantine for 72 hours (three days) before being recirculated.
- Due dates and fines are active. Our fines threshold has been extended to $15. At $15 in fines, patrons may not checkout materials until the fine is paid.
Know before you go:
- Face masks covering the nose and mouth are required when in the library building.
- If you do not have a face mask, RHPL will provide one for you. Masks were recently provided by a generous donation from Ford Motor Company.
- Maintain proper distance when in the building entrances and lobby.
- Library WiFi will be extended into the south and west parking lots for use in your car.
- Laptops bundled with WiFi hotspots can be reserved online or by phone. Items are limited.
- Online printing services are available to patrons who are residents of Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Twp. Patrons may print up to $30 per day per library card for free. Print requests beyond $30 will be charged to the patron. Printing fees are: $.10 per black/white page and $.50 per color page. Print virtually any document or web page from your Internet connected PC to one of our library printers. Visit www.rhpl.org/print to learn more.