Get A Library Card
Anyone who lives, works, owns property or is enrolled in a public or private school in Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Township is eligible to apply for an RHPL library card. Currently, enrolled students attending Oakland University living on or off-campus and Rochester University students living on campus are eligible for membership at our library.
RHPL participates in reciprocal borrowing agreements with many other libraries. Libraries that will accept your RHPL card include members of The Library Network and other MILibrary libraries. Non-resident patrons whose home library is not a Library Network participating library, but do belong to one of the MILibrary participating libraries throughout Michigan may bring their home library card with an MILibrary card sticker on it and their identification to RHPL to borrow print material only.
Library card benefits:
What can you do with an RHPL card? Discover the possibilities:
- Access to eBooks, audiobooks, and movie/music streaming through Hoopla, OverDrive/Libby, and Kanopy
- Find resources for the deaf & hard-of-hearing, as well as for those with visual impairments or physical disabilities.
- Schedule meeting room space for your nonprofit, educational, or civic group
- Reserve study room up to one month in advance
- Attend free library programs, concerts & lectures
- Use the Eureka Lab/Makerspace
- Checkout laptops and WiFi hotspots
- Checkout Innovative Items such as musical instruments, sewing machines, craft tools, and more
- Utilize a variety of online resources such as tutor.com, Gale Courses, Ancestry.com, Consumer Reports, Mango Languages, and more
- Checkout Michigan Activity Passes for free access to amusement attractions, historical sites, and parks
All applicants must be able to verify their eligibility with a photo ID and appropriate documentation as follows:
Resident: Drivers License with current address, or Photo ID and verifiable documentation of an official nature with applicant’s name and current address such as utility bill, property tax statement, bank statement, rental or purchase agreement. Applicants under 18 must be accompanied by the parent or legal guardian (must bring documentation of guardianship) who will become the responsible party and give permission for the child’s library card.
Business: Driver’s License with current address and verification of employment with local business address on it such as current paystub, current ID badge, or letter from employer. Business owners should bring appropriate paperwork showing their name and business address such as tax forms. Business cards are not acceptable. Membership is only for the employed business person and not extended to family members.
Rochester Student, non-public school: Parent must bring their Driver’s License and paperwork to verify student’s current enrollment such as tuition statement, letter from school or current year report card.
Oakland University Students: Bring Student ID and Driver’s License with current home address and be able to verify enrollment status by showing a current class schedule in paper format or online. Students living on campus should also bring verification of campus address.
Rochester College Students: Students must live on campus, bring Student ID and Driver’s License and appropriate paperwork to verify on campus address.