Hands-on learning comes to RHPL
Our Makerspace is our newest space, where you can create! The Makerspace will continually gain more equipment and resources, to better serve our intelligent community. Next time you’re in the Library, show your interest and see what’s new!
The Makerspace contains the following equipment:
- Button Maker
- Die-Cut Machine
- Lulzbot Mini 3D Printer
- Lulzbot Taz 6 3D Printer
- Makey Makey
- Raspberry Pi
- 3D Scanner
- Silhouette Cameo 3 Vinyl Cutter (Please supply your own materials)
- Silhouette Portrait Vinyl Cutter (Please supply your own materials)
- VHS to DVD converter (Please bring a blank DVD per VHS)
- Glowforge Laser Cutter (New)
The Makerspace provides 3D printing services! If you have an item you would like to be 3D printed, please provide us with your 3D model files, and some information about what you’re printing. Your print will be added a queue, and we will contact you to pick it up when it is done! For all information about our 3D printing services, click here!
- Click here to send us your 3D Model for printing.
- Or, just bring us your 3D model on a USB drive (or other data storage device) during Lab Hours.
- Please click here to review the 3D Printing Policy before you send your model.
All prints typically cost $.20 cents per gram. Users will also incur a fee of $.50 cents per hour beginning at 4 hours. This may change according to material type. Once your print has completed, it will be weighed to determine the total cost.
What is 3D Printing?
3D printing is the process of creating a physical object from a digital model. It is also known as additive manufacturing because the physical model is built one layer at a time from the bottom up. 3D printing provides an opportunity for everyone to take an idea from their imagination, design it, and create a physical model. RHPL is actively building a community environment that nurtures creativity while stimulating and supporting learning and innovation.
Click here to learn more about 3D Printing technology!
What types of 3D printers are available?
The LulzBot Taz 6 and the Lulzbot Mini are available at RHPL.
LulzBot Taz 6:
- Filament options: Materials that can be used include: PLA, HIPS, PVA, wood filled filaments, Polyester (Tritan), PETT, bronze, copper, stainless steel-filled filaments, Polycarbonate, Nylon, PETG, conductive PLA and ABS, UV luminescent filaments, PCTPE, PC-ABS, Alloy 910, and more. (Users who require filament besides PLA will have to provide their own material, and must be approved by library staff). Library staff reserves the right to determine whether or not a print can be completed with the requested material.
- LulzBot Taz 6 can create a two color object
- one example of a two color object that we have successfully printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:62536
- Maximum print size (inches): 11 in x 11 in x 9.8
- ABS, PLA, HIPS, PVA, wood filled filaments, Polyester (Tritan), PETT, bronze and copper filled filaments, Polycarbonate, Nylon, PETG, conductive PLA and ABS, UV luminescent filaments, PCTPE, PC-ABS, Alloy 910. (Users who require filament besides PLA will have to provide their own material, and must be approved by library staff). Library staff reserves the right to determine whether or not a print can be completed with the requested material.
- Maximum print size (inches): 6 in x 6 in x 6.2
- LulzBot Mini can print in one color
What software is available to create 3D models?
We recommend the free, browser-based program called Tinkercad for beginners. Other free programs are Blender and Sketchup. Designs can also be downloaded from Thingiverse, a design community for sharing 3D printable objects.
Whenever we’re open, we’re happy to show you our 3D printers, and answer any questions you have about this fascinating technology!
We have 2 Vinyl Cutters available. A Silhouette Cameo 3, and a Silhouette Portait.
Click here for more information!
What material can the Glowforge cut/engrave?
Glowforge can cut wood, fabric, leather, paper, Plexiglas (acrylic), Delrin (acetal), mylar, rubber, fiberglass, Corian, foods, and more. Glowforge can also engrave all of the above plus glass, coated metal, marble, anodized aluminum, titanium, some phones, tablets, and laptops, and more.
What is the thickest material Glowforge can cut?
Glowforge performs well with many materials 1/4" and less on a single pass. It can accommodate material as thick as 1/2", but may require multiple passes or flipping the material over. For engraving, you can remove the tray and insert objects as thick as 2”. It can then engrave the surface up to 0.5”, depending on the material.
For more information click here: https://glowforge.com/faq
3D PRINTER FILAMENTS
PLA – A versatile, durable plastic. Made from plant starches. The most popular material for 3D printing.
Available In: Black, White, Grey, Red, Orange, Yellow, Gold, Light Green, Dark Green, Turquoise, Transluscent Blue, Purple, Pink, and others.
The library can provide PLA to you, if you do not have any materials. We allow printing with other materials incuding: wood filled filaments, Polyester (Tritan), PETT, bronze, copper, stainless steel-filed filaments, Polycarbonate, Nylon, PETG, conductive PLA and ABS, UV luminescent filaments, PCTPE, Pc-ABS, and Alloy 910.
These other materials may be approved upon request and the customer must supply the materials. Please remember you will be charged by weight per gram.
For more information on 3D Printer filament types: Click here for a helpful article comparing all currently marketed filament varieties
Hardware & Software
We have 2 high definition monitors, with high processing computers available for public use. We also have several high processing laptops available when these computers are in use.
The following software is availiable:
- Video Editing Software
- Photo Editing Software
- 3d Object Editing Software