Innovative Items Collection
About the Innovative Items Collection
Rochester Hills Public Library (RHPL) continues its mission to provide the community with resources to inform, educate, enlighten and entertain our patrons with our new Innovative Items Collection (IIC). This new collection of non-traditional library items will allow patrons to check out three-dimensional items including tools, household items, equipment, technology, and more.
A valid RHPL library card is required to check out IIC items. IIC Items and kits should not be dropped into a drop box, please return items to the IIC desk on the second floor. Any items found in a drop box will incur a $5 fine.
Ask a Tech Assistant
Equipment is borrowed and used at the sole risk of the library patron who checks it out and/or any person the patron allows to use it. The Rochester Hills Public Library will monitor and maintain IIC kits but cannot guarantee that they will be in perfect condition.
When checking out an item from the IIC, the patron agrees that the RHPL does not provide supervision or instruction for use of the equipment. Furthermore, the patron acknowledges that use of the equipment may involve risk of serious injury, for which the patron checking out the IIC kit holds sole responsibility for. The patron also agrees to refrain from using the equipment in a manner inconsistent with its intended design and purpose.
- IIC kits may only be checked out from and returned to the Computer Help desk in Adult Services.
- The patron is responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the IIC kit and/or accessories.
- Borrowers are responsible to read and abide by all manufacturer’s recommendations, warnings and instructions for use.
- Patrons in good standing can check Innovative Items Collection (IIC) kits out for 14 days at a time.
- Patrons may borrow up to two IIC kits at one time.
- Patrons may have up to two holds on IIC kits at one time.
- IIC kits are available for check-out by Resident cardholders, Business cardholders, and Student cardholders that are currently in good standing.
- IIC kits will be allowed one renewal if there are no other reservations on the item.
- Renewals may be done in person, by telephone, or online. IIC kits that are on hold may not be available for renewal.
- Extended loan periods may be available upon request at the time of checkout.
- IIC kits that are on hold may not be extended.
- Fines due at the time of renewal are still due.
- In compliance with the Library Privacy Act only authorized users, parents or legal guardians will be provided detailed information on any library account.
- The library reserves the right to make some materials non-circulating and only available for in-library use.